The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects internationally on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking a Regional Head of Office for East Africa
The GRC Regional Office in Nairobi covers Kenya, Somalia and Uganda. Projects are implemented in close cooperation with the local sister societies. Currently the focus is on projects in Somaliland and Uganda, especially on integrated community-based projects aiming to increase the resilience of rural communities. In addition, GRC engages in relief and emergency support. Moreover capacity building and organisational development of our sister societies play a key role in all projects.
The GRC has been working in Kenya, Somalia and Uganda for a long time. Besides the office in Nairobi two to three delegates are based in Hargeysa, Somalia and four to six delegates are based in Uganda, to supervise the project implementation in those countries.
Duration: starting June 1st 2017 for 24 months
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Overall responsibility for the projects and the strategic direction of GRC in the region
- Manage the regional office, including personnel, fixed assets, financial assets and other resources in accordance with GRC procedures and regulations
- Security management in Kenya, Uganda and Somalia (Somaliland)
- Providing technical support to the Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS), the Ugandan Red Cross Society (URCS) and the GRC delegates in project implementation and applying an integrated approach aiming at resilience (livelihood, food security, WASH, DRR, CCA) and emergency relief
- Promote the institutional and programme development of the SRCS and URCS through a supportive working relationship
- Ensure good coordination with Movement partners (HNS, IFRC, ICRC, PNS) and external partners
- Representation of GRC towards donors, authorities, partners and the media
- Keep close contact and ensure regular reporting to GRC Headquarter
- Fundraising and preparation of concept notes and proposals
- Frequent travels to Somaliland and Uganda
- Monitoring of the humanitarian sector and social-political developments in East Africa
- Minimum of five years of experience in a senior management position, including management of an international team
- Profound experience in project management, monitoring and evaluation
- Minimum of five years of experience in sector livelihood, food security, WASH, DRR, CCA or emergency relief
- Profound knowledge of the region and the humanitarian sector
- Proven experience in proposal writing
- Several years of work experience within the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement is a strong asset
- Strong networking, representation and diplomatic skills
- University degree in a relevant subject
- Readiness to work in remote areas and frequent travels
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles
- Oral and written fluency in English
- Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural environments
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions'
GRC offers you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC as well as an expatriation allowance during your mission. Depending on the post specific situation we either provide you with an accommodation or a personal allowance to cover your accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package (health insurance for residence abroad, private accident insurance, private liability insurance, luggage insurance) GRC is as well covering a home flight withing a 12-month period of assignment and medical check-ups before and after your mission. Before your assignment you will benefit from a comprehensive training package and receive briefings prior as well as during and after your mission.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HRnet until 26.03.2017.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2017- 042 with your application.
Further information on our recruiting procedure can be found on our homepage.